Thursday 13 April 2017

Painted eggs

posters went up at work, decorated egg competition..oh! For children with three age ranges Ahh.  There was both a level of disappointment and yet relief in that second sigh. It has been awhile since I did any egg decorating (well mainly painting,easter themed painted eggs,easter eggs part two and dragon egg) and a competition is a good spur to having a go.  The at the same time, well lots of half done things, part done things and things at the planning and dream stage, so not really the time for doing painted eggs.

However, the week after that and I am advised that a section for adults to enter has been added. I am still trying to hold out but am persuaded by a colleague who intends to enter and who also happens to enter many of the same classes I do at the local show.

She even shows me her duck egg creations, challenge made, challenge to be met.

Three boiled hens eggs later and I am ready to start, three as I will drop one, I always end up dropping one at some point.  I did, dropped it and ended up with a circular indentation in the top third..I will make it a death star I thought.  Now I know a poor workman blames her tools but in this instance the white paint I had (with no time to get more) was not adhering to the brown egg, so no go with the death star. a Quick thump with my knuckle and now there are two dents, painted black, the rest daubed with yellow and I have a fat chick to put in my glass chicken egg cup.  Funny entry complete. 

Egg painted as a chick
Fat chick
Now to something a bit more serious, Koi Carp a tribute of sorts to my mothers "fish" egg.  Two fish, I could have done with them being smaller or indeed the egg bigger, they came from a book gifted by my BFF.  Painting the scales was oddly soothing.

Koi Carp painted egg

And last but not least, well it is me so it had to be a dragon, well didn't it? You may recognise the inspiration from an earlier post little blue dragon

Painted egg dragon
Dragon egg

All three entered and up against Phillipa's Faberge style duck egg


The blue diamante headdress even moves a little, I am very impressed.

On the day, well Phillipa and I were the only adults who entered.  The judge must also have a fondness for the dragon as that is the egg that won.

A Cadbury's cream egg and a bottle of sparkling wine, the former consumed that very day and the latter, well amusingly enough neither Phillipa or I drink alcohol so it is waiting the next charity event at work for those that do.


No comments: